How to Bill for Assisting with Telehealth Events in Skilled Nursing Facilities
With the increase in assisted telehealth that is taking place in skilled nursing facilities since the dawn of the COVID-19 pandemic, many nursing home billers have an opportunity to recoup revenue for their facilities. CMS is reimbursing skilled nursing facilities for their efforts in supporting and conducting the event on the SNF side. If a nursing home resident receives a telehealth service, the skilled nursing facility is eligible to bill the HCPCS Code Q3014 and will receive approximately $25 per event.
Here are some tips to help you properly bill for these events:
- Q3014 is a valid 2020 HCPCS code for Telehealth originating site facility fee or just “Telehealth facility fee” for short.
- The type of service for the telehealth originating site facility fee is “9”, other items and services.
- SNFs bill their Part A MAC for the originating site facility fee on TOB 22X or 23X. For SNF inpatients in a covered Part A stay, the originating site facility fee must be submitted on a 22X TOB. All SNFs must use revenue code 0780 when billing for the originating site facility fee.
- The SNF serving as an originating site must bill for HCPCS code Q3014, telehealth originating site facility fee, on a separate revenue line from any other services provided to the beneficiary.
- The facility billing representative needs to add the provider NPI number to the claim.
You can search for provider NPI numbers here: https://npiregistry.cms.hhs.gov/
If you have any questions about billing for these events or how you can improve and grow the telehealth program in your facility at no cost to you, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a SAGE Partner today!